Wild Apple Kennel and Guide Service

Wild Apple Kennel and Guide Service
The 2007 Grand National Grouse Champion, Winner 2008 Northern New England Woodcock Championship, Winner 2010 Lake States Grouse Championship, Runner-up 2011 Northeast Grouse and Woodcock Championship, Winner 2011 International Amateur Woodcock Championship, Winner 2012 Southern New England Woodcock Championship

Wild Apple Kennel Training Blog

This blog will try to present a running account of the training and field trialing season for the pointers of Wild Apple Kennel. NOW ACCEPTING BOOKINGS FOR THE 2015 GROUSE AND WOODCOCK SEASON WITH WILD APPLE KENNEL GUIDE SERVICE! PHONE NUMBERS 603-449-3419 OR CELL 603-381-8763.



Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Another day on the rope

I teach one day a week at the local community college here on northern New Hampshire, so Wednesdays I don't have much time to work dogs. I did manage to get Veronica and Mariah out for some yardwork. I felt like I wasn't making any progress with Mariah and needed to get her attention. I attached a spike collar -- an old leather one with dulled copper spikes -- to the end of the checkcord. It didn't take long for her to stop pulling and to turn and come with out so much pressure on the line. She actual stood still and let me pose her up a little bit when we got to the barrel. Veronica is also progressing. Today when she was on the barrel I was able to walk all the way around her. Tomorrow, I'll see if I can pose her up and get a picture. Tomorrow will also be a day when I try to work the derbies in the bird field. Trey is the furthest along as we were able to flush and shoot birds for him last fall. His littermate June just wasn't ready to start pointing on her own last summer and still needs a checkcord in the birdfield. She did point some birds in Texas last winter. Trip who joined us late last fall hasn't had the bird exposure that the dogs raised here have had and is still pointing mice and tweetie birds -- I'm sure she'll outgrow that as we get her on planted birds -- once she is staunch enough I'll probably shoot a pigeon or two for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment