Wild Apple Kennel and Guide Service

Wild Apple Kennel and Guide Service
The 2007 Grand National Grouse Champion, Winner 2008 Northern New England Woodcock Championship, Winner 2010 Lake States Grouse Championship, Runner-up 2011 Northeast Grouse and Woodcock Championship, Winner 2011 International Amateur Woodcock Championship, Winner 2012 Southern New England Woodcock Championship

Wild Apple Kennel Training Blog

This blog will try to present a running account of the training and field trialing season for the pointers of Wild Apple Kennel. NOW ACCEPTING BOOKINGS FOR THE 2015 GROUSE AND WOODCOCK SEASON WITH WILD APPLE KENNEL GUIDE SERVICE! PHONE NUMBERS 603-449-3419 OR CELL 603-381-8763.



Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Statistical Analysis

Back in the early 90s, I kept a hunting log.  Now that I'm guiding I'm supposed to keep a log again.  I thought it might be interesting to see how things compare at the middle of the month.

As of today, we've moved 200 woodcock and 113 grouse.

According to my old logs at about the middle of October I had the following bird counts:

1991 198 woodcock, 52 grouse
1992 226 woodcock, 30 grouse
1993 240 woodcock, 42 grouse
1994 176 woodcock, 38 grouse

Grouse numbers are down substantially from 2011 and 2012 but obviously much better than they were back in the early 90s.  It's interesting that the woodcock number is relatively consistent and had I kept records for the years in between would probably be pretty close to the numbers above.  Back in the early 90s I was teaching full time but got out until dark almost everyday after school.  Now I'm out early and many days this year have stopped hunting in the early afternoon as the weather has been quite warm.  So, the total hours hunted is probably not all that different.

This morning I was scouting new cover as I have hunters coming in starting Thursday and will be busy all through next week.  Found birds with Annie and Trip but didn't shoot any for them as I was saving my woodcock kills for Brandy.  She pointed three and I did my part.

Wild Apple Calvados (Brandy) checking out the birds I shot for her this morning.



1 comment:

  1. The 2007 Grand National Grouse Champion, Winner 2008 Northern New England Woodcock Championship, feng shui

    ReplyDelete